Life In Plastic

Sunday 15 March 2015



Anyone who knows me will know I'm obsessed with shoes and my favourite shoe brand of all time has to be Melissas, a Brazilian company who have had numerous designers such as Vivienne Westwood, Karl Lagerfield, Jason Wu and plenty others collaborate with them to make unique, beautiful designs that are unlike any other shoe brand today.

If, like me, you love all things vegan and glamorous, keep reading for my review on Melissa Shoes.




I was first drawn to Melissa Shoes when I heard Vivienne Westwood designed for them. In my personal opinion, when it comes to designing, she can do no wrong. Her designs are fun, colourful, unique, weird and very stylised. I was very excited to look at the designs she did for a vegan shoe company.

When I first thought about vegan shoes, my mind jumped to materials like canvas, hemp, bamboo, leaves (if that's even possible) and it completely skipped the obvious. Plastic. When most people think of plastic they assume it's horrible for the environment, which is often true. Luckily, Melissa shoes use 100% recycled plastic to make their shoes and the smell and texture is not like you'd expect. There's some suede-looking shoes, patent leather lookalikes, the inside souls are comfortable to walk in and it's not that gross kind of plastic that makes your feet squeak. The smell is masked by a signature Melissa bubblegum smell, which I personally think smells like grape scented gel pens. My friends have come to recognise the smell as 'Laura's wearing Melissas again'

Are they durable? Yes. Quite unbelievably. Because they're all made out of the same material, there's no chance of them falling apart like other shoes. They are waterproof and when you happen to find yourself walking through the mud in your Vivienne Westwood Melissa heels, I find it a baby wipe will clean away any stain and they'll look and feel as good as new.

The one problem I do have with Melissa Shoes is the stretching, but this can easily be fixed by buying a size smaller than you would usually.

Across you can see a pair that I'm obsessed with. They are Jason Wu's and I have them in both black and pink and if I had my own way, I'd have them in every colour. I've been wearing them almost every day for a year and they're still in perfect condition because I bought them in a size 2. (Yes, you can even buy them in weird sizes like 2s.)

So, overall, if you want to look and feel like you're living in a plastic world and everything is fantastic, I'd completely recommend looking into getting some Melissa Shoes. I'm not the only one who thinks these shoes are perfect for any occasion. Weddings, grocery shopping, jet-setting, walking along the beach, catching the bus, sitting at home feeling fancy, literally any occasion you can think of, Melissa shoes would be perfect.