Redefining Vegan

Thursday 1 January 2015

I’ve been a vegan for two years now and one thing that has become more increasingly annoying is other people giving me excuses to why they cannot go vegan.

I’ve heard them all. ‘It’s too expensive’, ‘I live with my family and they won’t let me eat vegetables’ and ‘I have blah-de-blah disease and I need to eat 50kg of steak a day to survive’. And of course sometimes these excuses are valid but rarely are they good enough. Often I hear ‘veganism is too expensive’ whilst the party gobbles down foie gras, caviar and a £100 cheese wheel. Or ‘I have an iron deficiency and I need meat’ when purchasing leather shoes and L’oreal shampoo. You can understand my frustration.

This is why I believe ‘vegan’ needs redefining. People are under the impression that if you can’t be a good vegan, what is the point of trying at all? Of course nobody is 100% vegan by society’s definition. Nobody can say they have never stepped on an ant or never hoovered up a dust mite.


The current definition of vegan is ‘a person who does not eat or use animal products’ needs to change to ‘a person who attempts not to harm another life to the best of their ability, whether that life is human or none human.’ Therefore, if you’re stuck on a desert island with nothing to eat but cows (it happens to us all at some point), nobody will take away your vegan card for doing what you have to do to survive.

If you live at home with your parents who don't approve of you going vegan, don't order chicken nuggets when you're out in a restaurant, ask for a veggie burger without the cheese. Don't ask for MAC makeup for your birthday, ask for a brand that doesn't test on animals. One day you'll move out and be able to make your own decisions. Just remember, everything you have control over, try to make the most ethical decisions to the best of your ability and by the new definition, you're a vegan.

If you can't afford luxury raw vegan cupcakes or lush shampoo, nobody is going to take away your vegan card if you have to spend your money on a cheaper brand of deodorant and toothpaste, even if they test on animals. But don't spend your money on bacon or cheese when the vegan version is cheaper (it is cheaper! Try looking in Holland and Barrett, you'll be surprised!) or if they aren't necessary at all. Beans, rice, frozen fruits and vegetables are amongst the cheapest foods and they're all vegan. Once again, if you're trying to abstain from animal products to the best of your ability, you can call yourself a vegan.
  1. Interesting. What interested me most was your attempt at redefining veganism, but I'd have to say I don't quite follow your reasoning since veganism already is defined as follows:

    "The word ‘veganism’ denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude - as far as is possible and practical - all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

    I would say this is almost as simple as the definition get, most incoherencies and inconsistent approaches usually originate in ignorance/failure to grasp the concept of veganism/nonviolence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main purpose of this post was to let people know that it is okay to fail sometimes.

      However the people who have excuses for certain areas but choose to ignore every other aspect of veganism due to ignorance (eg. can't go vegan because of a certain dietary deficiency but still buy products that test on animals and buy leather) are the people I have an issue with.

      I think my main issue with being a vegan is when people think I'm trying to convert everyone. They come to me with a million excuses like 'some people are too poor', 'some people live in food deserts' etc. And I wonder what is their excuse? The people they're talking about take up about 5% of the world's population. But less than 1% of people are vegan.

      I think my main purpose was to include that 5% into the vegan world. Yes, maybe they can't be completely vegan in a certain aspect of their life, but that does not mean they should give up trying when it comes to everything else. Same goes for the billions of other people who could be vegan but choose not to because of whatever reason. I think as it stands veganism is an intimidating way of life and sometimes you need to break it down a bit for people to be more open to it.

      But overall, you're probably right. I didn't need to redefine anything, as the definition was already what I wanted it to be. This post was definitely aimed at those who fail to grasp the concept. Which in my experience is basically everyone I've ever spoken to about being a vegan.

      Delete