Vegan Places to Eat in Bath

Tuesday 3 February 2015


I currently live in Bath for University. I've almost been here for two and a half years and I definitely have to say it's my favourite city in England. There's the Therma Spa, the Roman Baths, Prior Park, the Weir. There's so much stuff to do and it's so difficult to get sick off.

As I'm starting to sound like a travel ad, I'll get to the point I'm trying to make. Where is there to eat in this gorgeous city? Well, I'm from the North West and coming from such a meat-eating place, it's a pleasant surprise to find so many vegan options in such a small city. There's the famous Acorn Vegetarian Kitchen right by other veggie places such as The Green Rocket Cafe.

Before I leave (I've only got a few more months! *Cries*) I'm going to make it my mission to visit all of the vegan/vegetarian places in Bath and review them. You might be surprised to find I've never actually been to Acorn (have you seen their prices???!!) so I'll have to save that for another blog post. Until then, I'm going to tell you about my favourite places to eat as a vegan...

The Green Rocket Cafe



The Green Rocket Cafe offers all sorts of gorgeous treats to suit everyone. Although they advertise as a vegetarian restaurant, their vegetarian options are few to none. It's very much a vegan establishment and I love that.

They have juices, cakes, raw vegan meals, cooked vegan meals, breakfasts, brunches and lunches. I'm especially obsessed with their range of cakes as I'm one of those people who love eating cake, but hate making cake so finding vegan cakes in such a prominent part of town is a real treat. Take a look at their 'sweet treats' menu opposite. They create new cakes quite often, so this menu is definitely not set in stone. I've yet to try all of their vegan options, but one day. One day.

The Green Rocket Cafe is situated on Pierrepont Street which is very close to the Weir. You can literally stand on the doorstep of the cafe and see the Weir just ahead of you. It's also right next door to the nightclub, Ponana, which is an easier direction to follow if, like me, you're a drunken mess half the time.

Below are some of the meals I've enjoyed the past few times I've visited the Green Rocket.




(Left: Pecan and Banana Cake. YUM! Right: Cherry Bakewell Cake. Another YUM!)



(Left: Raw vegan courgette spaghetti. This was actually my first time eating raw vegan and I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Right: Mushroom burger with Cashew Cheese. This meal might actually be the reason I don't get to try new things when I'm there. Because I ALWAYS order this because it's SO tasty.)

Beyond The Kale


All my friends know I'm obsessed with this place. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) this place is right by where I work, so on my breaks, I'm constantly round there ordering my favourite juice, Energy Juice (I've tried them all but that one's the best), and buying a new raw vegan cake. I do love my raw vegan cakes.

Beyond The Kale don't really advertise as a vegan place. It's more of a health shop, but pretty much everything in the shop is vegan (aside from the raw honey but they never put any honey in the cakes, soups or juices). They sell fresh, organic produce, superfoods, raw vegan everything, hot soups in the winter, raw vegan hot chocolate, nuts, grains, juices, salads and so much more I couldn't possibly list everything.


As well as shopping there for the cakes and the juices, I also like to shop here to find things that are hard to come by everywhere else. For instance, where else am I going to find heirloom black tomatoes in Bath? What about edible flowers? Coco butter? Is it just me or are those things near impossible to find if you don't know where to look?

Beyond the Kale is situated in Green Park Station, right near the big Sainsburys. On Saturdays, there's always the farmers market outside and I love browsing around at the vegetables with a juice feeling oh so hipster.

So those are my picks for where to eat in Bath. If you're a vegan and you're looking for somewhere to eat that is quick and easy and not too overpriced (Acorn, I'm looking at you) then you should definitely try out these places.



  1. Great choice of teas at the green rocket to go with your cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love green rocket laura. acorn is defo recommended too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these places!! You should check out Cascara because they have some lovely fresh juices and also The Acorn Vegetarian Restaurant :)

    www.diaryofanexpatgirl.com

    p.s. I love your blog! Hope you enjoy the places xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love acorn it's my favourite! I have a new up to date list on my new blog, vegantearoom.com , but i've never heard of cascara, so i'll need to visit when i'm next in bath, thanks!

      Delete