UK Vegan Toothpaste Brands

Saturday 14 February 2015

Before I went vegan, I tried to make a conscious effort to buy products that weren't tested on animals. Or at least I did for the obvious stuff, makeup, shampoo, skin care, etc. But there's so many things you just don't think about. One of those things is toothpaste. You buy brands like 'Colgate' and 'Aquafresh' because they're easy, cheap and always around in supermarkets. BUT, these brands test on animals unnecessary.

It's not vivisection like the naive mind would imagine. It's not cute animals getting a dental treatment. It's brutal and entirely unnecessary. If you want to get more informed on vivisection, I'd recommend watching this video. (Click the link)

Luckily, there are options! Below I've listed three of my favourite inexpensive toothpaste brands that happen to be both cruelty free and vegan!

Green People


Green People make loads of Earth-friendly vegan products and I feel like I need to rave about them to you UK vegans for multiple reasons, not just for their toothpaste. But let's stick to the topic here.

They make different flavours, minty cool, citrus and aloe vera, peppermint and aloe vera and fennel and propolis (stay clear of this one unless you know for a fact you love fennel). They also have a range of children's toothpastes, all of which are organic, fair trade, vegan and cruelty free. What more could you ask for? Oh, they're also amazing for sensitive teeth too, and this is coming from someone who has really bad sensitive teeth.

All of the Green People products are available from their website. Click the link here.

Sarakan



Sarakan is another toothpaste brand that is vegan and cruelty free. As well as toothpaste, they also have mouthwash that is free from all the nasties you'd imagine popular toothpaste brands stay clear of.

You can buy Sarakan toothpaste and mouthwash from Holland and Barrett or online at their website. Click the link here.

Lush Toothy Tabs 

So they're not exactly toothpaste but I wanted to introduce you to something a little different. These are Lush's Toothy Tabs. They are easy to store, vegan and cruelty free (of course) and the packaging is cardboard therefore recyclable. They come in loads of scents and flavours (it's Lush, expect weird ones) so there's something for everyone.

In my experience of using these, I came across a few positives and negatives. Let's hear the bad news first; they taste a little bit like eating a bath bomb for the first few times using it and it feels unnatural, but you do eventually get used to this. Another thing is if you get the packaging wet, the tabs tend to merge together and you are left with 30 out of the 40 toothy tabs promised and the rest makes a soggy mush at the bottom of the packet.

However, I did like these. I felt like they not only cleaned my teeth, but my entire mouth. No mouthwash was required. I also like how little the packaging it, they are perfect for travelling. It feels weird going back to normal toothpaste after you've tried these.

You can buy them at your nearest Lush shop, or online here.

Post a Comment