Lentil and Vegetable Pasties

Wednesday 28 October 2015



In my year seven food tech class, I was labelled the pasty queen. I burnt my cupcakes, I somehow managed to scramble my quiches and boil my brownies (I know, right? How does that even happen?) But trust me when I say, pasties were my jam.

These pasties were an experiment because I had some random veggies in the fridge and an ever-looming best before date on the puff pastry. I decided to have a little bit of fun and created these magical little things which are, by far, the most delicious things I've ever made.

Ingredients:

  • 1 sheet of Jus-Rol Puff Pastry
  • 1 tbsp of plant based milk
  • 2 tbsp of vegan gravy graduals
  • 1 tsp of vegetable stock powder
  • 1 tsp of nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 potato
  • 1/2 carrot
  • 100g lentils
  • 1 leek
  • 1 tsp of coconut oil
  • 1 tsbp of flour
  1. Chop the potato, leek and carrots into small cubes. Sweat in a pan with the coconut oil, then pour in some boiling water and boil for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
  2. Meanwhile in another pan, cook the lentils for roughly 10-15 minutes. Before you do this, make sure you rinse the lentils as they contain an indigestible starch.
  3. Cut your pastry into 6 squares and set aside to soften.
  4. Once the lentils and vegetables are cooked, drain the water and mix together in a bowl.
  5. Cook your gravy, stock, nutritional yeast and flour together in a new pan, until it is thick and there is no lumps.
  6. Pour the gravy over the vegetable and lentil mixture. Mix together and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  7. When the mixture is cool, add a spoonful to the middle of the pastry squares and fold down the top corner to reach the bottom corner to make a triangle shape.
  8. With a fork, indent a pattern on the edge of the pasty where the pastry meets.
  9. With a knife pierce two holes in the top of the pastry. I like to make a 'v' for vegan shape.
  10. Brush the pastry with the plant based milk.
  11. Cook in the oven on gas mark 7 for roughly 20 minutes or until they are browned. Enjoy!